Monday, March 1, 2010

Calgon Take Me Away!

When I was in my twenties, and one of the few times I actually had a real job, with real pay and real responsibility, an intern interrupted me while I was in the bathroom. "It’s urgent," she said, blah, blah, blah – really? Something is so important I can’t go to the bathroom in peace? Is there nowhere I’m allowed a little down time?

I feel the same way now – when I’m going to the bathroom the door will open, "Mommy, can I have some water?" Or better yet, yelling from across the house, "Mom, where are you? This often happens when my husband is actually home, standing right next to them, but no! They need me. I can’t even pee in peace.

My real retreat, though, is the bathtub. A long, hot soak with the door closed, the curtain drawn. Sometimes I take a book or magazine, trying to catch a few minutes of adult time. I’ve even taken my computer so I can watch hulu or netflix (if I were filthy rich the one indulgence I'd have to give into is a TV in the bathroom). But alas, I’m not safe there either. I used to tell my husband I was going to take a bath and lock the door behind me. That is until he taught my daughter how to pick the lock.

"Mom? Can I get in the bath with you?"

"No."

"Please?"

Another kid comes in …

"Can I get in too?"

Next thing I know, they're in and I’m out ….

My mother-in-law, having overheard this drama more than a few times when visiting, sent me this comic strip, which says it all!

http://www.babyblues.com/archive/index.php?formname=getstrip&GoToDay=07/12/2009



No comments:

Post a Comment